Sunday, August 7, 2011

Who Would God Bless?

It always amazes me when sports figures, Grammy winners, and politicians always say that "God ordained this win." Now, before I go too far, I do believe that all things work for the good of them who love God, and are called according to HIS purpose (Romans 8:28), but can one really say that The Three Six Mafia's "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" was really the best God could orchestrate for a Grammy?

Governor Rick "Let Me Do A Rain Dance, Yet The Heavens Are Still Shut Up" Perry (R, Texas) attended "The Response: A Call to Prayer for a Nation in Crisis", and while I do not have a problem with politicians attending a prayer service, I DO have a problem when they attend said service in their official capacity, and that's what he did. FYI, I have this same problem when preachers become politicians, and preach politics from their pulpits.

I find it amazing that when Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., Pastor Emeritus  of the Trinity United Church of Christ, was literally excoriated for comments he made (and taken out of context) where he said "God Damn America" (I was there for the sermon, titled "Confusing God and Government"), people claimed he was using "hate speech". Yeah, because black preachers have not been on the end of THAT stick, ever

However, what confounds me even more is when politicians claim that "marriage is for one man and one woman" and define that as "biblical marriage". What confounds me even more is when folks claim that sexual orientation is a "choice". What makes me wonder what people are really saying is when they claim that GLBTA (and any other letters one can add) folks cannot be blessed by God. Says who?

Listen, if God can bless Rick Perry and his supporters, who actually harm "the least of these", can be blessed, why can't EVERYONE? Seriously, if God can make sure The Three Six Mafia gets a Grammy, God can sure make sure I am blessed as well.

Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment